Giveaway Tuesdays has officially ended! But don't sweat it, WonderHowTo has another World that's taken its place. Every Tuesday, Phone Snap! invites you to show off your cell phone photography skills.
Submit your best shot to our weekly competition for a chance to win an awesome prize. Phoneographers only—both Android and iPhone welcome! Check it out now.
This week's Giveaway Tuesdays Photo Challenge requires you to get a little blurry. We're looking for your best bokeh shot, whether you're a bokeh veteran or new to the art. Bokeh, which translates to "blurred" in Japanese, is the practice of creating dreamy, out-of-focus compositions by manipulating light through a shallow depth of field. This process often results in select areas of focus, while the rest of the image appears soft and blurred. The blurred area is what is referred to as the "bokeh effect".
To learn more about the effect, see lengthy explanations here and here—but for the sake of this challenge, we're going to present several relatively simple How-To's for creating your own bokeh images at home. Check the corkboard throughout the week for quick tips and tutorials.
Here is a very basic bokeh photograph:
Once you've mastered the basics, you can opt to use a filter to create "stenciled" shapes with the blurred light, furthering the effect:
Which brings us to the prize...
The Bokeh Masters Kit includes 21 different pop out shapes, plus 8 extra blank discs to come up with your own designs. The readymade stencils include the following: an airplane, a star, a heart, a dolphin, a bird, a paw print, a happy face, a sad face, an envelope, a butterfly, a check symbol, a movie camera, a biohazard symbol, headphones, a football player, a fleur de lis, a walking man, a recycling symbol, a mouse cursor, and a manatee.
The kit works with film and digital SLR cameras, and is optimized for lenses sized 62mm and under. Tests show that the kit works best with the following lenses, (though it may also work with other wide-aperture lenses of similar thread size):
- Nikon 50mm F/1.8, Canon 50mm F/1.8
- Nikon 50mm F/1.4, Canon 50mm F/1.4
- Nikon 85mm F/1.8, Canon 85mm F/1.8
- Nikon 28-105mm F/3.5-F/4.5
- Kit Zooms: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6, Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
- With vignetting: Sigma 30mm F/1.4
Set up is easy; simply pop out your filter, fold as instructed, and secure over your lens with a rubber band. The filter will hold each bokeh shape in place:
More details here.
- Follow WonderHowTo on Twitter.
- Post your best bokeh shot to the Giveaway Tuesdays Corkboard. That's ONE photo per person, and the photo MUST be taken by you. No stealing.
- We will select and announce one winner at 8:30 am PST on Tuesday, November 8th.
All entries must be in by Monday, November 7th, 11:59pm PST. Standard rules apply. Post any questions below.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades