Giveaway Tuesdays has officially ended! But don't sweat it, WonderHowTo has another World that's taken its place. Every Tuesday, Phone Snap! invites you to show off your cell phone photography skills.
Submit your best shot to our weekly competition for a chance to win an awesome prize. Phoneographers only—both Android and iPhone welcome! Check it out now.
Let's back up a little—here's how this week's Giveaway Tuesday works: We challenge you to submit your favorite 6-15 second video clip/excerpt (shot by YOU). We will select the most exciting, action-packed video, which will then be processed into a 100mm x 56mm 50-page laminated flipbook, handcrafted in Switzerland, and shipped to the winner.
MyFlickbooks is the Swiss company behind Flickbooks, an app that easily converts 6-15 second long video clips shot on your iOS device into high-quality, paper flipbooks. The app is free, and guides you through the necessary steps to recording your movie, selecting your excerpt, designing the cover and checking out/paying.
To enter this week's Tuesday Giveaway, we ask that you post your video directly to our corkboard (though, feel free to download and play around with the free app). We will put the winning video through the app process once we've selected the winner/the challenge has closed.
*Good news—you do not need an iOS device to enter. MyFlipbooks will accept videos shot on any recording device as long as the clip is: 5 to 12 seconds in length (longer movies can be shortened online), a maximum upload size of 100MB, and in any of the following formats: mov, avi, mpeg, flv, wmv, mpeg, mp4, 3gp, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, and more.
- Follow WonderHowTo on Twitter -OR- Like us on Facebook.
- Post ONE 5-12 second video clip per person to the Giveaway Tuesdays Corkboard. (**Please note:WonderHowTo does not provide video hosting. You can embed from YouTube, Vimeo, or almost anywhere else by simply pasting the URL of the video into the media gallery.)
- The winner with the most action-packed, flipbook-worthy video will be selected and announced at 8am PST on Tuesday, August 16th. (Note: the flipbook takes approximately 12 to 15 working days to arrive after ordering.)
- Your video clip must be between 6 and and 15 seconds. Shorter or longer sequences can't be used. Make sure you record your video within that time frame, or use editing software (or the free app) to select an excerpt of that duration.
- If you choose to use a recording device other than the iPhone, make sure the format is one of the following: mov, avi, mpeg, flv, wmv, mpeg, mp4, 3gp, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, and more.
- Go for a resolution of 640 x 480 to 800 x 600 pixels (lower resolutions will result in lower print quality).
- Upload sizes must not exceed 100 MB. If your video is larger than 100MB, you can edit it with a video editor (such as Windows Movie Maker or iMovie) to shorten it, or to re-encode it at a lower bitrate to reduce the file size.
- Make sure you choose a clip with action and movement—a relatively stationary sequence would be very dull. Flickbook recommends: "It's best to film everything in one take, with the action ideally taking place toward the center and right-hand side of the frame, as visibility is reduced on the left due to the spine of the printed Flickbook."
- UPDATE: After playing around with the software, it appears that your clip will look better if it has a horizontal composition. Of course, you can just opt to hold the printed book vertically as you flip through it. You can test to see how your clip looks by uploading it to MyFlickbooks.com.
All entries must be in by Monday, August 15th, 11:59pm PST. Standard rules apply. Post any questions below.
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.